[CT Birds] Bluff Point 10/5

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 5 16:51:28 EDT 2008

from Glenn Williams & Phil Rusch:
10/5 - Groton, Bluff Point -- BAY-BREASTED, WILSON'S, and BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER; YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, and 2 AMERICAN KESTREL; 400+ warblers of 12 species.

(06:35-08:45 at the hot corner and about an hour in the park afterwards)  The light was terrible and it rained fairly steadily at a peak time of movement at the hot corner, so more birds than usual were missed. The dominant warbler was yellow-rump.  I was told that there weren't many yellow-rumps yesterday.  There was also a good movement of juncos and kinglets which were not present yesterday.  I couldn't get out of bed yesterday morning as I had stayed up to watch the Sox.  Below is a partial list with some estimates:

Bay-breasted Warbler - 1
Blackburnian Warbler - 1
Wilson's Warbler - 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 150
Black-throated Blue Warbler - 8
Magnolia Warbler - 2
Palm Warbler - 3
Black-throated Green Warbler - 15
Northern Parula - 25
Blackpoll Warbler - 6 (probably missed a bunch of these in flight)
Black-and-white Warbler - 6
American Redstart - 2

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1-2
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1
American Kestrel - 2
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 120
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 25
Northern Junco - 80
Red-eyed Vireo - 25
Blue-headed Vireo - 6
White-eyed Vireo - 1 at the hot corner which could have been resident or migrant.

Glenn Williams
Mystic