[CT Birds] Stratford passerines 10/5

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 5 19:21:03 EDT 2008

As a result of today's postings by Greg, Meredith, Glenn, and others, I snuck out locally to Stratford locations late afternoon (4:30-6:00) 10/5: McKinney Refuge, Long Beach, Short Beach.  I found much of the same, tons of E. Phoebes (15), Palm Warblers (20), Yellow-rumped Warblers (15), as well as a few RC Kinglets, 1 BT Blue, 1 Am. Redstart, 1 juv. Sapsucker (first of fall), 2 unid. Sharp-tailed sparrows, 1 imm. White-crowned Sparrow (first of fall), tons of Song, Savannah, and Swamp Sparrows, 1 Osprey, 4 Yellow-crowned Night Herons, flocks of Sanderlings.

And a note of caution.  I've seen a number of postings of yellow-bellied flycatchers. This species comes through CT mostly the 1st week in August through the last week in Sept. I would just caution birders to make sure they are not misidentifying juvenile Eastern Phoebes, which exhibit a nice yellow belly.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford