[CT Birds] 358 raptors @ Quaker Ridge and 397 @ Chestnut Ridge

Brian Bielfelt speedyperegrine at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 23:11:48 EDT 2008

Hello,

Good day at Quaker Ridge.  We felt like we missed a lot of birds in the blue skies.  Very similar to Chestnut Ridge, except for the vulture movement; they had Turkey Vultures all day where a majority of ours came from 3pm-5pm flying away from the shore.  Late Kestrel flight today.  Thanks to Mike Reese and Mike Warner for spending the day scanning the bluest skies of the year.

                              Quaker Ridge, CT         Chestnut Ridge, NY
Turkey Vulture                   119                        113
Osprey                             2                          8
Bald Eagle                         3                          3
Northern Harrier                   1                          3
Sharp-shinned Hawk               162                        192
Cooper's Hawk                     14                         19
Broad-winged Hawk                  0                          1
Red-tailed Hawk                    6                          3
American Kestrel                  41                         41
Merlin                             4                          5
Peregrine Falcon                   0                          2
Unknown                            6                          7
TOTALS                           358                        397

Cheers,
Brian Bielfelt
Greenwich, CT