[CT Birds] Sunrise Bird Walk - White Pelican, Dickcissel 9, species of sparrow

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Oct 11 14:29:34 EDT 2008

Hi All,

Another great bird walk following last Saturdays big day in Wilton. This morning we headed to Cove Island and managed to see 1 Dickcissel, 1 Lincoln's Sparrow, 8 Bobolinks, 1 Vesper Sparrow (over on the island part of cove not the IBA), 5 White-crowned Sparrows and 1 YB Sapsucker (ditto). Obvious highlight of the day was the White Pelican found by Patrick Dugan (who was there leading his Saturday Cove Walk. He'd walked out towards the sound when I heard him shouting something but couldn't hear what it was and as I looked up their was a White Pelican soaring low (not much over treetop height) over the southern end of the park. It circled a couple of times giving absolutely stunning views before wandering west towards Greenwich. A second unbelievable flyover (and a second state bird) for the week for me personally with the Sandhill Cranes the other day. Another great day in Connecticut - man I love October.

Luke Tiller, Wilton
www.sunrisebirding.com