[CT Birds] Common raven, Power cut, Washington/Roxbury town lines

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 12 15:23:11 EDT 2008

Seems like the common raven is becoming more "common".  I heard a common raven behind our house here in Washington, CT on Friday (Oct 10). Today (Oct 12) I took an early afternoon walk down South Street to below the Region #12 Shepaug Middle/High School. Just south of the school on South St is the town line between Washington and Roxbury. At this point is a power-cut. I heard a common raven here about 2 PM.  Before going to check to see if I could see this common raven I took a short walk around the Shepaug Youth Soccer Lower Field, which is on the left south of the school on South St. The soccer field has turned up interesting birds as it by Battle Creek Brook, which local beavers sometime dam up. While I was walking around the soccer field the local American crows, who did not have any red-tailed hawks to chase, decided to go after the raven. Well the crows beat me to the raven, I did not see the raven. The crows seem to not like ravens,
 though both species are corvids. Sometimes I think crows carry on more about ravens then red-tailed hawks.

David Babington
Washington, CT