[CT Birds] Paucity of birds on LI Sound

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Mon Jan 5 06:47:26 EST 2009

Brian,

Last week, I was at 650 Long Beach Blvd. scoping the channel between the refuge
and Pleasure Beach when I spotted 2 hunters hunkered down in a blind.  I called DEP
to report this as a possible violation, and after checking with USFW, they informed me
that it was legal to hunt in that area.  So birders, be careful if you're near any hunters.

Meredith Sampson
Old Greenwich

-- "Brian Webster " <b.webster at hotmail.com> wrote:
I've also noticed a lot of hunting around recently.  Both bow and rifle hunters.  I am really interested in the legality of hunting the waters between Long Beach and Great Meadow Marsh and the marsh itself.  The instances when I am down there and I hear gunshots, see camo covered guys in dingies, or see people in pursuit of Long-tails seems to be on the rise.  I have no problem with hunting...its been a huge part of human life forever.  But when I go to view birds, and people are trying to kill those birds for fun, thats pretty frustrating.  Especially if that location is 'protected'.   There are tons of spent shells all over the paths of the GMM and Long Beach.  I surely hope there is another reason for lower waterfowl numbers than hunting.    -Brian Webster-