[CT Birds] Groton Barrow's Goldeneye

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 10:01:58 EST 2009

from Glenn Williams:
1/4 - Groton Long Point, Mumford Cove -- drake BARROW'S GOLDENEYE

Sorry for the delay in reporting but I have been having computer issues.  The bird was not present when I arrived and I was about to leave after 45 minutes when it flew in with a flock of Common Goldeneye.  I would recommend looking from the location described by Danny Williams.  The area is ridiculous in regards to police.  The roads are public but there is no legal parking anywhere without a resident permit.  The police harass with the idea of keeping people out of Groton Long Point and Mumford Cove.  I was questioned, ID asked for, etc. while owling there during the NL CBC - fair enough, owling is a suspicious activity and the officer was supportive.  During the day we were pulled over, asked for ID, registration, proof of what we were doing (how do you prove you are doing a CBC).  There was absolutely no reason to pull us over at all except that we had RI plates and were driving slowly.  This second officer was a bit sarcastic.

My point is to be careful there.  They are also notorious for giving tickets for not coming to a complete stop at stop signs.

Glenn Williams
Mystic