[CT Birds] (fwd) Tagged Gulls

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Jan 5 22:08:18 EST 2009

Just passing along the message below that came in today.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:43:57 -0500, "MacKenzie, Ken (DCR)"
<Ken.Mackenzie at state.ma.us> wrote:

Dear COA birders,

I received a phone call today from a woman in Old Lyme that was asking
about a tagged ring-billed gull sitting on the water.  She told me
that there may be other sightings folks have had and posted on the COA
website. We would be interested in finding out about those sightings.
The Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) is
conducting a study on gulls movement in the northeast.  For
information about the tagging study please visit:
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/waterSupply/watershed/study/index.htm.  We
have tagged over 200 gulls and are looking for sightings throughout
the northeast.  We are finding that these wintering gulls move a lot
more than we previously thought.

Sightings of these tagged gulls are very important to us.  If you see
a wing-tagged bird, please try to obtain the alpha-numeric combination
on the tag (e.g., A57) and report it using the contact information
below.  Common places to find these wintering gull species are at
landfills, parking lots, and ball fields. Please keep a look out for
any wing-tagged birds while birding, grocery shopping, or even at the
kids' soccer game. DCR will be happy to provide you with capture
information about a specific bird. Reports on the project, when
available, will be posted on the website.

Thanks for your help,
Ken

Ken MacKenzie
Senior Wildlife Biologist
Department of Conservation and Recreation
Natural Resource Section
180 Beaman St
West Boylston, MA 01583
508-792-7423 x313 / 508-792-7805 (fax)