[CT Birds] LI Sound - Waterbird Paucity?

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Mon Jan 5 23:08:17 EST 2009

Hi All,

Not sure things are quite as dreary as people are making it all sound although the Long-tailed Duck, Loons and Grebes do seem (to me) to be harder to come by than usual. On the up side on the Westport CBC Larry Flynn and Alex Coffey recorded almost 1200 White-winged Scoter's off of the Norwalk Islands (easily the highest count for 30 years). The Scaup flocks yesterday were one of the most amazing bird phenomenons i've witnessed on the sound. I recall a report from Long Island of a flock of Greater Scaup estimated to be over 25,000 strong last winter (or the one before) but not on the sound side as I recall. There were some very large flocks of Goldeneye off of Fairfield and Stratford yesterday but a combination of heat haze and distance was working against spotting anything amongst them.

Luke Tiller, Wilton
www.underclearskies.com