[CT Birds] LIS Winter Water Birds

lpflynn at optonline.net lpflynn at optonline.net
Mon Jan 5 23:31:39 EST 2009

The winter water bird count in the Norwalk Island area has not been in to bad a shape.
Of course there are many oyster boats working the island chain, creating a nice chum slick, by stirring up all that bottom, lots of food. Hum? Guess those birds don't want to travel to far from the refrigerator?
Here are the Boat numbers from the Christmas Bird Count, from Alex Coffey and I, yes the White-wing Scoter count is high, it was absolutely incredible to see.
I hope to get out on the boat tomorrow to get another survey in, winds are finally subsiding.<30 mph. I do note less Gulls, but there seem to be more hunters this year?We'll see in another few weeks.
I've had a number of people asking "what are you seeing out there?" So I will try to share my reports more often.

Larry Flynn

Location:     Norwalk Islands
Observation date:     12/27/08
Number of species:     43