[CT Birds] LIS Winter Water Birds

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 6 07:35:03 EST 2009

This only counts for two species..... but I noticed the largest concentrations (that I've seen.... in one whole year) of Common Goldeneye and GBB Gulls yesterday at Long Beach in Stratford.  Well over 250 Goldeneye, and I counted 18 GBBGs.  I can't recall seeing more than 7-8 at one spot before.

Since I've only been birding one year.... hopefully the trend experienced birders have been noticing will reverse itself and in 10 years I can say how much better the birding on LIS has gotten.

-Brian Webster-> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 04:31:39 +0000> From: lpflynn at optonline.net> To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org> Subject: [CT Birds] LIS Winter Water Birds> > The winter water bird count in the Norwalk Island area has not been in to bad a shape.> Of course there are many oyster boats working the island chain, creating a nice chum slick, by stirring up all that bottom, lots of food. Hum? Guess those birds don't want to travel to far from the refrigerator?> Here are the Boat numbers from the Christmas Bird Count, from Alex Coffey and I, yes the White-wing Scoter count is high, it was absolutely incredible to see.> I hope to get out on the boat tomorrow to get another survey in, winds are finally subsiding.<30 mph. I do note less Gulls, but there seem to be more hunters this year?We'll see in another few weeks.> I've had a number of people asking "what are you seeing out there?" So I will try to share my reports more often.> > Larry Flynn> > Location: Norwalk Islands> Observation date: 12/27/08> Number of species: 43> > Brant 807> Canada Goose 52> Mute Swan 63> American Wigeon 9> American Black Duck 23> Mallard 29> White-winged Scoter 1136> Black Scoter 5> Long-tailed Duck 847> Bufflehead 60> Common Goldeneye 122> Red-breasted Merganser 189> Red-throated Loon 1> Common Loon 20> Horned Grebe 1> Double-crested Cormorant 1> Great Cormorant 9> Great Blue Heron 3> Sharp-shinned Hawk 1> Red-tailed Hawk 2> Peregrine Falcon 1> American Coot 2> Black-bellied Plover 36> Ruddy Turnstone 124> Sanderling 4> Purple Sandpiper 2> Dunlin 176> Bonaparte's Gull 1> Ring-billed Gull 65> Herring Gull 250> Great Black-backed Gull 26> Rock Pigeon 10> Downy Woodpecker 3> Northern Flicker 8> American Crow 4> Fish Crow 3> Carolina Wren 3> American Robin 2> Northern Mockingbird 2> European Starling 130> Song Sparrow 2> White-throated Sparrow 10> Northern Cardinal 10> > This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)> > _______________________________________________> This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA) for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut.> For subscription information visit http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org