[CT Birds] large scoter flock

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 13:25:43 EST 2009

This morning, Frank Mantlik and I scoped a large flock of White-winged
Scoter which was at least 300 birds strong. This flock was far offshore, in a
southerly direction from Stratford Point. There may have been a few scoter of
other species mixed in out there, but at the very least the vast majority  were
White-winged Scoter.

There were also good numbers of Long-tailed Ducks winging back and forth  and
a flock of perhaps 100 Greater Scaup also settled into the water in the
vicinity of the scoter flock.

I would chime in on the duck hunting theme by reminding folks that at least
some of the funding for the Stewart B McKinney NWR here in Connecticut came
from  Duck Stamp sales. I would rather have a marsh where hunting is allowed
than a  site which used to be a marsh but is now more warehouses or marinas.

On the way home, I stopped at Roosevelt Forest in Stratford and flushed an
American Woodcock.

Charlie Barnard Jr.
Stratford