[CT Birds] Waterford rails; Lower CT River birding

Sailcarm at aol.com Sailcarm at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 18:22:33 EST 2009

1/6 -- Here are the highlights from one spot in Waterford and a few along the
lower CT River:

Waterford -- 2 VIRGINIA RAILS, 1 seen, 1 heard, in same vicinity as the two
we saw in our portion of the New London CBC on Sat. The marsh is south of the
railroad tracks just after the Niantic Bridge, near boat yard and Sunset Ribs.
Access is only via the wide path next to railroad tracks.  Do not go on the
private or restricted property nearby.  This is very close to Millstone.

Otter Cove, O. Saybrook -- a nice mix of Am. tree, swamp, and song sparrows,
2 hermit thrushes, flock of robins, Carolina wren, and 7 bufflehead on the
nearby river.  And 2 kingfishers who were calling incessantly.

Essex, cemetery overlooking North Cove -- 30+ common mergansers in with a few
Canada geese and 1 lonely f. common goldeneye; 2 adult BALD EAGLES seen
perched on the Old Lyme side of the river and also doing aerial acrobatics
together, 1 red-tailed hawk, 1 no. harrier, 1 Coopers hawk, small flock of goldfinch,
1 eastern bluebird.  There was very little open water here so the mergs were
all bunched up in two spots which made for easy viewing.

Baldwin Bridge -- the 2 PEREGRINES which I reported yesterday were in the
same spot today when I went back over the bridge (3:30 PM) -- on the east tower.

Old Lyme -- a very quick late afternoon look at Ely's Ferry Rd. -  1 hermit
thrush, 1 eastern bluebird, 2 Carolina wren

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford