[CT Birds] Stratford birding day 1/6

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 6 21:11:39 EST 2009

With a day off today (1/6), I decided to see how many species I could find in my home town of Stratford.  I didn't get out early enough for any real owling, and spent most of the day along the shore (Lordship).  I never really did any land birding inland, and thus missed chickadee, titmouse, etc. Still, I was pleased with the 73 species I saw (14 of which were new year-birds).  Highlights were:
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT (2), GREAT EGRET, BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON (3), BLACK SCOTER (2), SURF SCOTER (30), WHITE-WINGED SCOTER (300) (Thanks, Charlie!), BALD EAGLE (1 ad.), ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK (1 dark), PEREGRINE FALCON, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, PURPLE SANDPIPER, ICELAND GULL, GLAUCOUS GULL, SHORT-EARED OWL, NORTHERN FLICKER (2), AMERICAN PIPIT (4), CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, "IPSWICH" SAVANNAH SPARROW, LAPLAND LONGSPUR (7), BOAT-TAILED GRACKLE (36).
Birding sure beats work.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford