[CT Birds] Young Red-shouldered Hawk

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Wed Jan 7 07:02:51 EST 2009

Frank, Larry,

If possible, I suggest monitoring this bird.  While it seems to fly o.k.,an eye injury
can affect its ability to hunt successfully, due to impaired depth perception.
There are wildlife rehabilitators who could help this bird should it become
debilitated and catchable.

Meredith Sampson
Old Greenwich

-- Larry Bausher <LPBausher at comcast.net> wrote:
Frank,

I located the Red-shouldered Hawk today (Jan 6) at about 3:30 PM.
The bird was in the smaller of the two large trees across Rt 1 from
the Dairy Queen, which is next to KFC.  After a few minutes it flew
from the tree to a nearby telephone pole.  After perching on the pole
for about 10 minutes, it flew across Rt 1 and disappeared to the
south behind the abandoned Mack Truck building.

Both flights appeared smooth and normal to me.  I had driven by that
location earlier in the day and I’m quite sure the bird was not in
either of the large trees then, so at least for now it appears to be
mobile and is moving around the area.

Larry Bausher
West Haven