[CT Birds] Meadowlarks

ls.broker ls.broker at cox.net
Thu Jan 8 08:21:05 EST 2009

 From Steve Broker (Cheshire):

Your point is well made and well appreciated, Mark.

1/6/09 - East Haven, Ora Avenue/Proto Drive:  (a) Morris Creek
Marshes -- MARSH WREN; (b) landfill -- 3 MEADOWLARKS

The Meadowlarks were flushed from the top of the weed-covered East
Haven landfill.  They circled away and left, disappearing onto the
back edge of the landfill -  the observation lasting no more than 15
seconds.  On my return trip from the lowlands beyond (where I
searched unsuccessfully for American Woodcock), I did not kick up the
meadowlarks again.  Such a key field characteristic as voice and such
key field marks as whiteness in outer tail feathers, head pattern,
color of flanks, and overall body color were not sufficiently
observed for me to call either Eastern Meadowlark or Western
Meadowlark.  My experiences with Eastern (Southwest) Meadowlarks
mixed in with Western Meadowlarks in the desert scrublands of
southeastern Arizona have taught me that identification to the
species level can be sufficiently challenging to require good ears
and good views.  The correct call for this East Haven observation is
3 Meadowlarks.