[CT Birds] What bird screams like a chicken?

Dana Campbell mother-dana at juno.com
Thu Jan 8 09:58:46 EST 2009

On the Glastonbury CBC and again later at the same location in a wooded area near a corn field, I heard from the woods a bird screaming very much like a chicken does some times.  Very harsh and raspy, and sometimes rhythmic.  Anyone know what that might have been?  I looked and looked, but was never able to locate the bird making that sound...although it seemed to be coming from the floor of the woods.  Some game bird?
I sure did not recognize the sound.
Dana Campbell, Missioner, mother-dana at juno.com
The Greater Hartford Regional Ministry

"Does the hummingbird think he himself invented his crimson throat?
  He is wiser than that, I think."
   From New Poems by Mary Oliver