[CT Birds] Young Red-shouldered Hawk

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 14:45:08 EST 2009

Folks,

I was unable to relocate the Red-shouldered Hawk this morning in
spite of an extensive 1.5 hour search of the area, looking both in
the trees and on the ground where possible.  This included about 1/4
mile south of Orange Ave from the Connecticut Healthcare parking lot
at 114 Orange Ave, which gave good elevated views of the fields
behind the Mack Truck building on the west side of the river.  This
was the direction I last saw the bird heading.  There were numerous
crows in the fields, but they were all quietly doing their own thing
and not flocking around noisily in the manner which often indicates
the presence of a hawk.  Hopefully the hawk is OK and has moved on.
Unfortunately I will be out of town this weekend and won't be able to
look again until next Monday or Tuesday.

Frank, you can add Common Merganser to the winter list of West River
Park birds I sent you a few days ago.  There was a crisp-looking male
on the canal this morning along with a dozen or so Hoodeds.  And I
also had several nice Tree Sparrows in the corner of the weedy field
at the intersection of Orange Ave (Rt 1) and Marginal Dr.

Larry Bausher
West Haven