[CT Birds] More on Meadowlarks

Mark Szantyr birddog55 at charter.net
Thu Jan 8 22:50:56 EST 2009

Oh what a can of worms....

Western Meadowlark has "hypothetically" occurred in CT as reported in George
Clark's "Birds of Storrs, Connecticut and Vicinity".   Birds were found 6
times singing in Mansfield at various locations from 1965 through 1975.  It
is thought that two males were involved.  All of these records were from May
and June.  No written report or description exists and these birds have not
been evaluated by the ARCC.  The observers in every case were impeccable.
What got me going on this was the report from New Brunswick, Canada of a
Western Meadowlark 6 December 2007.  This report and a photo appear in the
most rcent issue of North American Birds.  There are several good references
to Identification...the newest Nat Geo guide is good as is Sibley.  Pyles
Guide to Bird Identification : the Passerines, deals with it in a more
extensive way.  A book that I find priceless is "The Western Bird Watcher"
by Kevin Zimmer. Several ID nightmares are dealt with very well, including
the meadowlarks.  Basically, Western Meadowlark shows a paler overall
appearance, paler crown stripes that show streaking ( unlike the dark and
rather unstreaked Eastern), a cheek that can be nearly the same shade as the
crown stripes ( and not pale or whitish like Eastern), Finely barred tail
feathers and tertials and coverts ( not showing a dark coalescence along the
shaft as in Eastern).  There are the differences in vocalization and habitat
preferences as described in the literature.

I was sent an email by one of the best birders in New England about my
original post.  He believes I am being difficult...the greatest probability
is that any Meadowlark seen in CT will be Eastern, even in winter.  I guess
I believe that unless you actually identify a bird, you are only assuming an
identity.  We all do this all the time. A flock of 500 American Robins goes
overhead and while you might actually identify one or two, largely we assume
they are all robins.  I think, though, that if we strive toward 100%
certainty in identification of each bird we actually identify, we will all
be better for it and find more cool birds...

Off my soap box.

Mark

Mark S. Szantyr
80 Bicknell Road #9