[CT Birds] More on Meadowlarks

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Thu Jan 8 23:22:41 EST 2009

I'm glad Mark chimed back in on this. I've always found curmudgeonliness one
his more endearing traits. Anyway, I was going to make reference to the
Maritime Canada record from North American Birds (a must read publication
for any serious birder). It shows that Westerns are at times identified
outside of singing season.

There are definitely two sides to the issue of similar species pairs, where
one species is common and one very rare. The first is the default position -
one species is so common that lacking definite proof of the rare one it
makes more sense statistically and realistically to call all individuals the
common species. We're confronted with this at Ligthhouse Point with migrant
hummingbirds. We've had a couple huge days (400+ and 200+ hummers) where a
rare one could have bolted through, but it makes sense (lacking info to the
contrary) to call them all Ruby-throated.

However, Mark's original point is equally important. If you just assume all
members of these types of species pairs are the common one, we'll never
generate any records or information about the local status of the rare one.
It's always important to keep the rare ones on the radar screen, learn about
the potential for field ID etc.

Just as an interesting aside, we considered one Western Meadowlark when I
was on the NJ Records Committee. The "observer" was actually a hearer who
recorded what sounded to him like an unusual meadowlark song. He got a
really long, high quality recording that we were able to send to Wesley
Lanyon, an expert on the species pair. He confirmed it as Western
Meadowlark. If I remember correctly, one important point was that Eastern
sings many different phrases (separable on sonograms) while Western sings
just a couple over and over.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury