[CT Birds] good stuff

Carl Ekroth cekroth at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 9 17:17:48 EST 2009

1/9 from Carl Ekroth, I was working on my January list today and found the folowing:
Wallingford, North Farms Res. RING-NECKED DUCKS
New Haven Harbor, next to Leon's restaurant, AMERICAN WIGEON, RUDDY DUCKS both GREATER AND LESSER SCAUP.
Stratford, Bird's Eye boat launch, AMERICAN COOT AND 1 PIED-BILLED GREBE, Frash Pond, CANVASBACKS, HOODED MERGS AND 1 IMM. BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON.  Long beach, the GLAUCOUS GULL continues, 1 SNOWY OWL, about 5/8 mile out towards Pleasure Beach from the end of Long Beach parking lot.
At the end of Long Beach Blvd. in the new wet land, 2 KILLDEER, 1 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER and 4 PIPITS in the grass between the parking lot and the mud.  If you go to the extream end of the parking lot and look across the water towards the large oil storage tanks, there was a bunch of wigeon, with 1 EURASIAN WIGEON.   There was  also a glaucous gull out there but I think it was the one from Long Beach since it flew off while I was there and this spot isn't far from Long Beach as the gull flies.