[CT Birds] Sunrise Bird Walk - Westport

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Jan 10 15:11:21 EST 2009

Hi All,

Had a cold but fun morning out in Westport with a hardy group of birders. Highlight of the morning was a beautiful 1st cycle Iceland Gull just off of the point at Sherwood (thanks Tina). No Crossbills, not for want of trying, but we did have a nice smattering of Pine Siskins at Longshore Country Club. Mainly the usual suspects apart from that, although a couple of Snow Buntings continue to hang on at Compo in the Horned Lark flock.

For those worrying about waterfowl on the sound, it was positively littered with birds today (pushed in by the forthcoming storm?) In fact, way out, we had 'flocks' of Red-throated Loons all lounging about together, plenty of Commons, lots of Horned Grebes and Long-tailed Ducks etc etc etc, There is also a decent sized flock of WW Scoter out here still but it seems to be staying way off shore - picked them up in flight early in the morning heading east at Compo.

Luke Tiller, Wilton
www.sunrisebirding.com