[CT Birds] Branford,East Shore Park,Hammo Sightings

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 18:48:58 EST 2009

2/16 - with Maryann Oleary

 Branford-White-winged Dove-We were lucky to see this bird for it's brief appearance at 7:45 this morning in the front yard of a  very generous birder's home.We were surrounded by hundreds of birds including Brown-headed Cowbirds,White-breasted Nuthatch,Downy,Hairy,and Red-bellied Woodpecker and a choir of Red-winged Blackbirds,Starlings,Common Grackle,Tufted Titmouse,Black-capped Chickadee,Mourning Dove,Cardinal and Blue Jay.Thank you,Donna!

 East Shore Park(East Haven)-1st winter Black-headed Gull at 9:15 AM offshore, swimming with a group of Ring-billed Gulls,  scoped from near the sewage treatment plant.

Hammonasset SP(Madison)-off of Meigs Point-many Sanderling,Dunlin,Purple Sandpiper,Ruddy Turnstone

                         off Hammonasset Point-Horned Grebe,Common Loon,Surf Scoters,White-winged Scoter

   We also saw a shorebird we could not ID.It looked like a Dunlin but it was white,not pale gray,snow white with a few dark brown spots on the lower scapulars.It was with the shorebirds.Any ideas?Unfortunately,we had no camera but,we think Kris Johnson saw the same bird.

Tina Green

Westport