[CT Birds] Dark Morph Red-tailed Hawk!

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Sat Feb 21 20:33:58 EST 2009

This is a really good record. I don't know off hand of any documented dark
morph Red-tails from the state, although there may well be some, maybe even
a specimen somewhere. We sometimes get very heavily marked ones in winter,
but a true dark morph as Dana describes is a real rarity.
Over 50ish years of birding I've only seen one really good example in the
East, a bird that turned up around this time of year in Martins Creek, Pa.,
near the Delaware River. It stayed for several days. That was about 20 years
ago.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury