[CT Birds] Dark Morph Red-tailed Hawk!

Clay Taylor ctaylor at att.net
Sat Feb 21 22:31:18 EST 2009

Hi All -

Great bird Dana!   Did you see any kind of pattern on the tail?   Any white
flecking on the head or breast?   The recent issue of Birding magazine has
an article on Harlan's Hawk tail-patterns by Bill Clark, and there are
plenty of instances of a Harlan's showing red not only on the tail but also
the body.    The only reason that I bring this up is that Bill is
spearheading an effort to have Harlan's Hawk reinstated as a full species
(which it was from the 1930s until 1973 when it was lumped into Red-tailed
Hawk).    Bill's presentation and documentation of the case for splitting
Harlan's from Red-tail is pretty convincing.

 I believe that Bill's article can also be viewed on the ABA website.

If your bird can be photographed and definitively identified as to
dark-morph Red-tail vs. dark-morph Harlan's, that might make a difference
for the CT list if and when the two are split.   I would hope that a few
people with cameras try to find the bird and get some ID photos.

Clay Taylor
Calallen, TX (Corpus Christi)
ctaylor at att.net