[CT Birds] Dark Morph Red-tailed Hawk!

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 22 07:05:58 EST 2009

Yes, really rare in the northeast for sure.  In 1979 I had the one and
only I've ever seen here in the northeast.  It was in Stratford along
the river on Rt 110 just south of the Parkway.  We have it relatively
easy when to comes to Buteo ID around here.  Out west you have light
morph, dark morph and everything in between of not only Redtails but
Swainson's and Ferrug's as well!  Makes things really interesting,
challenging and sometimes frustrating all at the same time if you don't
have a good long look at the bird.

On the Siskins Jamie was
mentioning.. I agree. I've been in my house 28 years and have never
seen even close to this number of Siskins.  I still have well over 100
and have had up to 400 or more at times.

At the shop I've
been telling customers who are casual backyard bird feeders to take a
good look at their finches and more often than not they either have
seen them but didn't know what they were or tell me the next time in
that after looking closer that yes they do have them.  I tell them to
enjoy it and not plan on that being the norm!

Also it's nice to see Rusty Blackbirds in higher than normal numbers at least here
with at least 18 today stopping in for a while and up to 53 at one point last weekend.  It's been a good
winter for sure.

Jim

The Fat Robin Wild Bird and Nature Shop
3000 Whitney Ave.  Hamden, CT 06518