[CT Birds] Green Siskin

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 11:51:03 EST 2009

I should have posted these yesterday, but here are a couple shots of my
green Pine Siskin.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kbosch/Birds#5309372347329876818

http://picasaweb.google.com/kbosch/Birds#5309372359283938626

You can also view the first and then click the right arrow at the top to see
the second. Be sure to hit the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of
the picture if you wish to view it at a larger size. You can see a lot more
yellow on this bird than other "typical" ones, as it is both brighter and
more widespread. There is a green wash over nearly all of it. The second
picture shows the green on the back of it's head and neck too. It really
stands out against the typical brown of the other birds.

So, if a green morph actually exists, and it's not due to something such as
food habits at certain critical points of it's life, then there is a good
chance this is one of them. There are many qualifications to the whole
thing, but for whatever reason that we have yet to determine, it is clear
these birds have a unique look from 98 or 99% of the others. It's very quiet
here today. I'm hoping they aren't already starting to move out. I'll
definitely miss them, too.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT