[CT Birds] NHBC First Wednesday Walk Report 51 species and it's certainly not Spring!

Kris Johnson krisjohnson99 at snet.net
Wed Mar 4 16:28:24 EST 2009

The NHBC March First Wednesday walk was held this morning in Stratford.  It was a cold morning starting out, but 10 intrepid birders braved the weather and gathered at the Long Beach parking lot.  While at Long Beach we were thrilled to see a short-eared owl hunting over the marsh.  The resident Glaucous Gull was there to greet us along with many other gulls, shorebirds and a few sparrows.  We birded several more spots along the shore and along the Housatonic River, seeing 12 species of ducks and American Coot.  We ended up at the Warehouse Marsh area where the killdeer called to us.  Thanks to Charlie Barnard and Randy Domina, leaders, for an excellent morning!  Let's hope it is Spring at the next walk on April 1st at the Milford Audubon Coastal Center! Hope to see you there.
Kris Johnson, Co-ordinator, NHBC First Wednesday Walks