[CT Birds] Stratford 1 rare 1 early

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 14:44:48 EST 2009

 From Scott Kruitbosch:
03/05/09 - Stratford yard -- 1 WINTER WREN, 1 GRAY CATBIRD.

I finally went outside today - I knew I should have a couple days ago. From
the end of February through the middle of March there is usually at least
one Winter Wren visiting the stream in the wetlands. It's an annual
occurrence. The Catbird was doing it's scolding calls, not singing. So many
of them are in the yard starting next month, and I wasn't thinking about
looking for one, that it didn't occur to me what I was hearing for a couple
minutes. It was kind of "background noise" from a common bird until I had a
little eureka moment.

It would have been nice to have these guys during the Stratford bioblitz -
same goes for the HERMIT THRUSH and 2 GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS I had. They're
always around, and I just missed them last week. Typical luck in that
regard.

The little Winter Wrens are one of my favorites, and knowing how tough they
can be to find, I tried getting video of it - let's call it a work in
progress. No success today, but I'm hopeful I can get distant shots. They're
tricky, and I don't want to try to invade it's space too much. It was not
singing, unfortunately, but everything else sure was. This weekend we will
get into the 50s and 60s. If we're lucky we could hit the 70s in a few
spots. The Winter Wren is the start of spring migration to me, and the
southern flow during the next few days could bring some new birds to us.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT
kbosch at gmail.com