[CT Birds] Siskin candy

Katz1449 at aol.com Katz1449 at aol.com
Sat Mar 7 08:47:08 EST 2009

>From Bev Propen  3/7  Orange

My  25-55 Pine Siskins have been eating from my sunflower  hearts feeders all
winter, as well as at the thistle feeder.  I didn't  realize it was anything
unusual, although I realize that thistle appears to be  their favorite.
I have been using sunflower hearts for several years now,  because apparently
all the shells and waste on the ground contributed to a  salmonella outbreak
a few years ago.  I had sent 2 sparrow corpses for  necropsies and the finding
was salmonella.