[CT Birds] Sunrise Bird Walk - Sherwood Island - decent birds plus mystery duck

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Apr 11 14:50:01 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Had a fun but rain-shortened morning in the field thanks to developing damp conditions. Highlights of the morning were a Lapland Longspur on the airplane field - picked up on the rattle call and I was hoping for a repeat of the Smith's from Sherwood a couple of years back but no such luck, also a couple of Kestrels, 3 Northern Shoveler, Brown Thrasher amongst the usual suspects. Checked the Bonaparte's at Sasco Creek, nothing unusual and numbers down about 1000 birds from Franks report from yesterday. Laughing gull was new for the year - tried to turn that into something more glamorous without luck.

The mystery duck story? I spotted a small group of Green-winged Teal in the marsh when we got distracted by the Longspur. As we moved up for better looks at the Longspur the teal flushed and as they darted in front of us I noticed one small duck was a dusky red color, thinking it was maybe a male Blue-winged I looked quickly at the face and was surprised to find that red as well and no sign of a white face patch. This all happened in a matter of milliseconds as they flew back into the marsh channels before reappearing heading east across the park now at some distance and heading out towards Burying Hill. We checked the marsh at high tide but only 2 GW Teal remained. Not sure what to make of it - no sign of white hip patch as to be expected with BW Teal but views were short and not in great light. One that got away?

Luke Tiller, Wilton
www.underclearskies.com