[CT Birds] hybridization?

Katz1449 at aol.com Katz1449 at aol.com
Mon Apr 13 09:40:56 EDT 2009

>From Bev Propen  4/13  Orange

I just got curious about birds hybridizing and came across a  discussion of
American Black ducks & Mallards hybridization in the
Wilson Bulletin March 1990
_http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/publications/90pubs/90-15.pdf_
(http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/publications/90pubs/90-15.pdf) .
>From what I read, hen black ducks may prefer mallard  drakes and  hybrid
drake rather than drake black ducks because of bright  plumage.
>From Greg's response, generally the yellow headed blackbird  would most
likely continue on to find a flock of his own kind.  But  possibly a female
red winged blackbird (if it doesn't have that "reproductive  isolating
mechanism" mentioned in Wilson article) may find a male yellow headed  blackbird
a suitable mate?

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!
(http://toolbar.aol.com/aolradio/download.html?ncid=emlweusdown00000035&ncid=emlcntusdown00000002)