[CT Birds] Sikorsky bike path

b.webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 15 10:25:22 EDT 2009

4/15,  I didn't relocate the Siskins that were collecting what look liked nest material, but the rest of my walk gave me 2 first of the year birds in (4) NRW Swallows and a single Palm Warbler.  Other birds were (6) Savannah Sparrows, some with amazingly bright yellow...one seemed to have an entire yellow head and face.  Also a very strange looking Canada goose with gray on the back, a skinny neck, and streaking on the breast.  It actually looked like it was involved in an oil spill or something... I hope not!  (23) Fish Crows flew by, a Great Blue Heron was fishing the slower moving water that is separated from the main river by an island of reeds, 2 Snipes in the same spot, one Kingfisher rattled by, a huge juvenile Red-tail was around, an adult Sharpie was hunting, and a couple DC Cormorants in the river.  I also got a glimpse of the adorable resident Red Fox that hangs out in the grassy areas.  -Brian Webster-