[CT Birds] Cove Island & Rosa Hartman/Stamford and Westport Highlights today

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 18 22:01:50 EDT 2009

4/18-Stamford - Cove Island Sanctuary -with Patrick Dugan,Mike & Wanda Moccio,Bill Van Loan,Sara Zagorski,& Carolyn Cimino

                 In addition to the spectacular veiws of the Grasshopper Sparrow and Pileated Woodpecker flyover,1 Cooper's  Hawk,

                 2 Common Loon,1 Oystercatcher,1 Northern Harrier,1 Osprey,Turkeys,Savannah Sparrows,Song Sparrows,

                 Bonaparte's Gulls in Holly Pond,Red-breasted Merganser

        Rosa Hartman Park - Stamford-with Mike Moccio,Sara Zagorski,Carolyn Cimino

                2 Brown Creeper,8 Hermit Thrush,1 Pine warbler,2 Palm Warbler,1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher,1 Ruby-crowned and 1                   Golden-crowned Kinglet,1 Winter Wren,1 Hairy and 1 Red-bellied Woodpecker,Eastern Phoebe

        Westport - Sherwood Island SP - with Sara Zagorski & Carolyn Cimino

                 2 Brown Thrasher,Ruby-crowned Kinglet

        Westport- Mill Pond near SISP entrance-

                4 Northern Shovelers,2 Blue-winged Teal,5 Green-winged teal,24 Gadwall,3 Great Egrets,2 American Wigeon,

                6 Greater Yellowlegs

                NOTE:There may be two pair of Blue-winged Teal there as I saw another pair within minutes today from the

                        Hillspoint Rd. side

         Westport - Grace Salmon Park and upper Saugatuck River from Gorham Island in the center of town

                60 Greater Yellowlegs,1 Northern Pintail hen continues all by her lonesome today

         Westport -Round Pond Rd and South Compo Rd Pond

                Blue-winged Teal drake and hen continue!Today I realized that these ducks are in addition to the ducks

                Frank Mantlik saw this past week in the Mill Pond.There are for sure 4,possibly 6 in Westport.

     A big thank you to Patrick and Mike for being our excellent guides today!

Tina Green

Westport