[CT Birds] South Dumpling Island

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 15:55:54 EDT 2009

Though South Dumpling Island is in NY waters it is very close to the Connecticut border and is, to my knowledge, the southernmost nesting location for Common Eider.  I visited it today (5/18) on a field trip with Waterford High School classes and Project Oceanology.  We were very surprised by the great loss of vegetation since last year.  Though there were at least 11 Common Eider nests and 25 adults around the island, heron and egret numbers have crashed to an all-time low.  There were only three Black-crowned Night-Heron nests and two Snowy Egret nests.  There were no Great Egret, Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, or Glossy Ibis nests present.  There used to be several hundred heron and egret nests on the island.  Double-crested Cormorants have overtaken the island and their potent guano is killing off the trees and other vegetation.

Glenn Williams
Mystic