[CT Birds] Lack of birds

Angeladimmitt at aol.com Angeladimmitt at aol.com
Thu May 21 21:35:33 EDT 2009

5/21 from Angela Dimmitt
There has been a distinct lack of migrants in general in my yard in New
Milford - by now I usually have a resident wood thrush and an oven bird -
neither this year; usually by now Tennessee warblers have passed through, a
prairie warbler has made a stop along the power line - both missed.   Also
missed when I did a small Big Day on Monday in Sherman.  Only a  couple of
Redstarts, no BTB or BTG or Canada.  Did have one Blackpoll and a  White-eyed
Vireo, and incredibly Hooded warblers were everywhere.  Finally  heard one
willow flycatcher, also one alder.  Veeries everywhere.   Water too high in
Wimisink for VA rails or bitterns.  Every grassy field  contained Bobolinks so
I soon lost track of numbers.  Only 2 Savs though,  and 1 field sparrow.  I
had to work hard for 87 species - then Nick Thold  called to say I had just
missed 2 pine siskins at his feeder..............   But I agree, where are
the birds?  Did the waves stick to the coast?   No even a mini-wave in
southern Litchfield County.

Angela Dimmitt