[CT Birds] lack of birds?

Mardi W. Dickinson mardi1 at optonline.net
Thu May 21 21:45:15 EDT 2009

Dear Bill, Paul et all,

I'll go ahead and add my $.50. I agree, I think a lot has to do with
food, weather and the health of the birds before they even think about
migrating for sure.
If they don't get to go where they migrate to and be able to nest and
have fledglings, I would think that is a major problem and concern.
Clearly the weather
plays a large role in all this too. The winds and weather have to be
just right for the birds to fly. For us this is why its so important
to keep those bird feeders
and birdbaths available to all birds that fly by our pathway in case
they steer off course. The birds will have a soft pace to land with
food, water and shelter.

Both Towny and I have observed and documented for many years that
every year becomes less and less of the amount of migratory birds in
this area passing by. We do get the birds but in much less of numbers
of each species. Its quite alarming to think about. This year in the
southern Fairfield area has been here and there. One of my many
regular spots is Birdcraft. Most years I can find many of the Wood
Warblers and other migratory birds in good numbers., some years more
than others. Again this has to do with the weather patterns. This year
it has been very slow all around the coast and the weather hasn't been
right. I have most of the migrants this year but I have had to really
hunt for some of them.

Other areas above and below in other states have seen a fairly good
migration as opposed to CT. Also Ohio at Magee Marsh has had a
fantastic season
this year. 30 species of warblers that included a Kirkland's Warbler!
Very Cool! This is a great place to see warblers up close and personnel.

I often wonder what the answers are and ponder.
Where are the migrants and why so few? Have the migrants flown over us
or around us and kept going? Are the migrants going up a different
flyway?
Are there less numbers of migrants flying altogether? Thus less nests
and fledglings to return and migrate the following year?

Cheers,
Mardi Dickinson
Norwalk, CT