[CT Birds] lack of warblers

Tom Sayers sayers.tom at gmail.com
Thu May 21 22:03:44 EDT 2009

I would certainly like to second what Gerry mentioned and third what Paul
recently stated. In my walks around the woods in Tolland and in my forays
further afield I noticed a very striking lack of both numbers and diversity
of warblers this spring. I won't begin to hazard a guess as to why, but the
woods around home were eerily silent for much of this spring. I can only
hope that weather patterns, etc. caused the majority of warblers to either
miss us or overfly us, but I find it very troubling. Even regional hotspots
like Mt. Auburn in Mass. had many days with very low numbers of birds. I
heard,for example, exactly one BTG in the woods around home all spring. In
any other year I would hear 2-3 on nearly every morning during the middle
weeks of May. Just my observations. Tom Sayers  Tolland