[CT Birds] A BIT MORE ON "LACK OF WARBLERS".

Boletebill boletebill at yahoo.com
Fri May 22 10:30:15 EDT 2009

Just a bit more on the "lack of birds" thread. My attributing the lack of warbler waves this year to weather patterns was simply one possible explanation of our collective opportunity to "witness" migration.  I in no way meant to imply that all our migrant bird populations are in great shape.  Far from it.  It's clear that many species are in sharp decline.  Who knows what avian atrocities are happening in the tropics that are affecting populations of neo-tropical migrant warblers: Changing land use patterns, Clearcutting, pesticides, herbicides, etc.
I pass through Nehantic State Forest just about every day.  Somehow, sometime this Spring, the neo-tropical breeders got there. In the new-field cut-overs there are dozens of Prairie and Blue-wing warblers.  There's at least 5 or 6 Hooded Warblers. White-eyed vireos have been abundant as have Worm-eating warblers.  Redstarts are all over the town of Lyme. Wood Thrush, Veery and Ovenbird all are evident along the forest road. Tanagers, orioles and GC Flycatchers are evident throughout the forest.  My point is that if the breeders got there it just may be that those that breed to our north passed through unnoticed (by CT birders) this year.
I would absolutely agree with the comment that the loss of Eastern Hemlock trees has affected the CT presence of BT Green warblers.
Final comment:  It strikes me that some of the warblers that were extremely uncommon ten years ago are abundant this year.  Hooded and Worm-eating come to mind as breeding birds and Blackburnian, Mourning and Prothonatory suddenly seem to be more evident(or are we just reporting better thanks to CTBIRDS list?).
I'm done.
Bill YuleLyme