[CT Birds] Mockingbird sounds....

Rick Baumhauer rick.baumhauer at gmail.com
Fri May 22 11:28:48 EDT 2009

Mimics can imitate a wide variety of sounds.  As another response
noted, Mockingbirds have been known to do spot-on renditions of car
alarms, among other environmental sounds.  In Attenborough's "The Life
of Birds", there is footage of a bird (I believe in the South Pacific
somewhere) that was able to mimic the sound of a 35mm camera shutter
and motor drive, as well as (more worryingly) chainsaws and other
mechanical sounds.

Just one of the reasons why the Mockingbird is my favorite "common"
bird - their vocal inventiveness often brings surprises, and I love
their attitude and spunk.  Young Mockingbirds are also a lot of fun,
especially when they're learning to their somewhat-mechanical
wingspread to scare up insects.

Rick Baumhauer
West Hartford, CT