[CT Birds] House sparrow battle update

Katz1449 at aol.com Katz1449 at aol.com
Mon May 25 12:14:43 EDT 2009

>From Bev Propen  5/25  Orange.
We are winning the House Sparrow Battle.  We combined two  suggestions from
on-line---screening/chicken wire  and plastic  piping.  We used the
screen/chicken wire (not pipe) and not  surrounding the awning but blocking area
behind the awning and against the  house.  this way we still are able to use
the awning.
The house sparrows  still put a few twigs in there, but  there is no room
for them to build anything nor to nest.  So thank you to  all who made
Brainstorming solutions was helpful.
Regarding the Ruddy shelduck, there have been 3 reports  now.  One at SISP,
one behind warehouse #500 in Stratford and the one I saw  at Wright's Pond
in Orange, all reported with Canada Geese.  Could this be  the same duck
traveling around, or perhaps several have escaped?  Just  curious since it is
such a pretty duck.