[CT Birds] Hartman Park , Lyme, 5/25/09

Julie Keefer julie.keefer at gmail.com
Mon May 25 15:29:03 EDT 2009

My husband and I birded Hartman Park in Lyme this morning.  We got a late
start, went out at about 10:30 and ended around 1.  We still had a great
day.  There was a Cerulean Warbler singing right at the gate near the
parking lot.  At the same spot as we were leaving we got our lifer
Worm-eating Warbler while listening to a Veery and the Cerulean!  The
Worm-eating Warbler was even eating worms/caterpillars in the trees.  Very
cool.  And I love to listen to the Veery.  We heard another thrush further
back in the woods that was neither a Veery nor a Wood Thrush but we did not
hear it long enough to figure out what it was.  This was my first time out
with my new BirdJam software on my iPod and it was great to be able to
listen to birds as we were hearing them singing in the trees!  The power cut
was an excellent spot with singing Blue-Winged, Yellow and Prairie Warblers,
Common Yellowthroat as well as several Baltimore Orioles and an Orchard
Oriole.  We saw 3 large hawks soaring but have no idea what they were, they
all appeared to be missing some primary feathers.  They had striped tails
and did not show the transparent crescents that you see with a
Red-shouldered Hawk (they were bigger than that too).  The body seemed to
have a fair bit of dark color.  The weather was gorgeous and we went to
Salem Farms and had ice cream when we were done!  Can't ask for a much
better day birding.  My eBird report is below.

Julie Keefer

Location:     Hartman Park
Observation date:     5/25/09
Number of species:     43

Turkey Vulture - Cathartes aura     2
Red-shouldered Hawk - Buteo lineatus     1
Buteo sp. - Buteo sp.     3
Barred Owl - Strix varia     X
Chimney Swift - Chaetura pelagica     X
Ruby-throated Hummingbird - Archilochus colubris     1
Northern Flicker - Colaptes auratus     1
Pileated Woodpecker - Dryocopus pileatus     1
Eastern Wood-Pewee - Contopus virens     1
Eastern Phoebe - Sayornis phoebe     1
Great Crested Flycatcher - Myiarchus crinitus     1
Eastern Kingbird - Tyrannus tyrannus     X
Yellow-throated Vireo - Vireo flavifrons     1
Red-eyed Vireo - Vireo olivaceus     2
American Crow - Corvus brachyrhynchos     X
Tree Swallow - Tachycineta bicolor     X
Black-capped Chickadee - Poecile atricapillus     X
Tufted Titmouse - Baeolophus bicolor     X
White-breasted Nuthatch - Sitta carolinensis     1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - Polioptila caerulea     1
Eastern Bluebird - Sialia sialis     X
Veery - Catharus fuscescens     1
American Robin - Turdus migratorius     X
thrush sp. - Turdidae sp.     1
Gray Catbird - Dumetella carolinensis     X
Cedar Waxwing - Bombycilla cedrorum     X
Blue-winged Warbler - Vermivora pinus     X
Yellow Warbler - Dendroica petechia     X
Prairie Warbler - Dendroica discolor     X
Cerulean Warbler - Dendroica cerulea     1
American Redstart - Setophaga ruticilla     X
Worm-eating Warbler - Helmitheros vermivorum     1
Ovenbird - Seiurus aurocapilla     X
Common Yellowthroat - Geothlypis trichas     X
Eastern Towhee - Pipilo erythrophthalmus     X
Chipping Sparrow - Spizella passerina     X
Indigo Bunting - Passerina cyanea     1
Red-winged Blackbird - Agelaius phoeniceus     X
Common Grackle - Quiscalus quiscula     X
Brown-headed Cowbird - Molothrus ater     X
Orchard Oriole - Icterus spurius     1
Baltimore Oriole - Icterus galbula     X
American Goldfinch - Carduelis tristis     X