[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club June Schedule

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Tue May 26 09:05:36 EDT 2009

Folks,

Here is the schedule for the New Haven Bird Club's field trips in June.

First Wednesday Walk: Branford Supply Ponds, Branford
Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:00 AM  Free and open to the public.
Join us as we walk the trails around East and West Ponds.  The
various habitats provide good birding opportunities for spring
migration and breeding/nesting areas.  We will look for warblers,
perhaps prothonatary or yellow-throated and pine as well as other
species including willow flycatcher, pileated woodpecker, and perhaps
tanagers and who knows what other species may surprise us there. This
is the pond where the cackling goose appeared several years ago and
there are always ducks and geese in the ponds.
DIRECTIONS: From the West, take Exit 54 off I95, turn right onto
Cedar Street and go south to Route 1.  Turn left and continue on
Route 1 (about 0.7 miles) to Chestnut Street, turn left and travel to
the main parking lot just beyond West Pond on the left. From the
East, take Exit 54 and turn left onto Cedar Street, then follow as
above.
Contact- Kris Johnson, 203-288-3087, Krisjohnson99 at snet.net

West Rock Ridge : The Ridge Top from New Haven to Bethany
Saturday, June 6, 2009, 7:00 AM  (Rain date: Sunday, June 7, 2009,
7:00 AM)
West Rock Ridge State Park is a breeding bird hotspot in CT, with
more than 100 species being confirmed or probable breeders. West Rock
ranks only behind the state forests, rivers, lakes, and reservoirs of
northwestern CT for its diversity of nesting birds. This trip will be
a warm-up for the NHBC Summer Bird Count next week. We’ll walk and
drive the ridge top in search of the avian diversity of West Rock,
emphasizing “birding by ear.” Along the way, we view the water birds
of Konold’s Pond far below us and the deep forest birds of the ridge
top and slopes. Our list of expected species includes diurnal
raptors, cuckoos, woodpeckers, flycatchers, vireos, ravens, swallows,
thrushes, warblers, tanagers, and orioles. Meet at the West Rock
Nature Center parking  lot  along  Wintergreen  Avenue.
Leader—Steve Broker: 203.272.5192 and 203.747.6843, ls.broker at cox.net

Eighteenth Annual Summer Bird Count.  Saturday, June 13 and Sunday,
June 14, 2009
This is a wonderful opportunity to work on your birdsong
identification skills and to see what birds are nesting in your area.
For the names of area captains and other information, contact leader
Steve Mayo: 203.393.0694, smayo at sikorsky.com

McLean Game Refuge, Granby.  Saturday, June 27, 2009, 7:30 AM
Don’t miss a chance to visit one of Hartford County’s most beautiful
birding locations. The Refuge consists of more than 4,200 acres of
hardwood forest, conifer stands, streams, and wetlands. Birders can
expect to find species such as Pileated Woodpecker, Blue-headed
Vireo, Winter Wren, Hermit Thrush, and Blackburnian Warbler. This
trip is a joint walk with our friends in the Hartford Audubon
Society, as part of their centennial celebration. Meet in the parking
lot at the Rt. 10 Refuge entrance. Call the Hartford Audubon trip
leader for more details.
Leader—Paul Cianfaglione:  860.836.3443.     NHBC Contact— Chris
Loscalzo: 203.389.6508,  closcalz at optonline.net

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, Publicity Director