[CT Birds] Hooded

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Tue May 26 16:26:12 EDT 2009

5/26, Stratford yard/woods-

(2) male Hooded warblers, both singing

I got to learn the Hooded Warblers call today, and when the two stopped singing, I heard 3-4 of it's call in the vicinity.  I was able to use the call to locate him when he stopped singing for a few minutes.  Do females make the same call, the plain 'chip', as the males?

I'm working on photos.  Just as the descriptions of their breeding habitat say...  they frequent the thick stuff.  And the thick stuff in my woods has a whole lot of pointy and prickly stuff.  Today is the 3rd day he's been here, singing a lot.  Over the weekend he only sang ultra-early, then around noon.  Today I heard him before work, and then when I got home around 3 he was still singing... and is still sporadically now.  The more I see/hear him, and from reading breeding habitat descriptions, I have hopes that he may stay to leave his mark on the world.  The habitat is spot on for them to breed... not too big though (3/4 square mile, maybe).  It feels great to have been right for once!

Also around was a Common Raven (most likely the same one Frank M. had in the cut on the other side of my woods) being mobbed by 3 crows.  Everytime I've seen him, he was being harrased by either crows or a Red-tail.  Swifts and swallows, Yellow warbler, about 15 Waxwings, Pileated, and a pair of Sharpies.  The resident Oriole has really opened up his singing repertoire lately.

Big butterfly/insect day too....Black and Eastern Tiger Swallowtails, Juvenal's Duskwing, Silver-bordered Fritillary (first for me), Spring Azure, Cabbage White, Hummingbird Moth (3rd time ever for me) and 2 unidentified Dragon (or damsel) flies.  One was at least 2 1/2", green overall with translucent wings (no-color noticed in wings), perched often, seen in my yard.  The other was about 1 1/2", overall a dark metalic-ish blue/green, dark translucent wings with a white square at the tip of each wing, seen in the powerline cut near the woodland egdes.  Oaks and hickories dominate, with some poplar and maples.

-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com