[CT Birds] Cabelas, East Hartford, this morning

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed May 27 12:50:02 EDT 2009

Although I'm very familiar with the area and have been to  Cabela's a few
times, I didn't even know there was a pond behind the  store.  It appears to
be an overflow pond for a storm sewer system.   Last time I was at
Rentschler Field it was to race RC model  airplanes.   For those who don't know the
area, it's off I-84, exit 58  to Silver Lane.  The entrance road is not very
well marked, but starts at  the old main entrance to Pratt and Whitney.
Cross Silver Lane at the  traffic light and stay left all the way to the end of
the road, where you will  see the Cabelas store.  Bearing right past Silver
Lane would put you in the  middle of the P & W complex.  The fields and
pond are next to the  parking lot to the left of the front of the store.
I'm terrible at shore birds and the light was lousy, so some of  these are
best guesses, but I was surprised to see several  varieties.
1 Upland Sandpiper (lifer!)
1 Least Sandpiper (appeared to have yellow  legs)
1 Dunlin (at least)
2 Spotted Sandpipers
1 Greater Yellowlegs
1 largish uk sandpiper (I have no clue)