[CT Birds] Bald Eagle

weatherwizard at comcast.net weatherwizard at comcast.net
Wed May 27 12:59:37 EDT 2009

My wife and I walk 6 miles in Haddam Meadows 6 days a week in the evening. We are often treated to many bird sightings, but last night was a real treat, as we stumbled across a very wet Bal Eagle in a tree about 50 yards away. It appeared he had stopped to finish his catch in a decaying tree about 30 feet from the ground, right near the river. I know of several nests, but not aware of one in Haddam. The last count I saw was from the DEP, which says there are now 18 nesting pairs in the state. I know where several of them are, just wasn't sure about Haddam, I know about 8 miles south there is one.