[CT Birds] Describing bird calls

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Fri May 29 08:00:21 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

Occasionally there have been people requesting help with
Identification of calls. They often put out some sort of phrase
sequence as a description. We can do better than that. Below is a
description of Whistling Swans calling made by Aretas A. Saunders as
he watched a group birds fly by Penfield Reef in Fairfield (Auk Vol
53: 204 1936)

"The call of the birds first attracted my attention to them. The
sounds consisted of several short notes, not very loud, on two
different pitches, about a major third apart. I determined the
pitches to be F # and A # in the third octave above middle C. The
quality suggested that of a reed instrument such as a clarinet or oboe."

Now THAT is a description.

Dennis Varza