[CT Birds] nice little wave....

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Sat May 30 08:53:47 EDT 2009

5/30, Stratford yard/woods-
This morning I came across a nice little wave of warblers and some other birds.  Several were more than willing to pose for photos (Blackpoll, Blackburnian, Yellow, GC Flycatcher).
(4) Blackpoll Warblers (3m, 1f)
(2) Blackburnian Warblers (1m, 1f)
(7) American Redstarts (2m, 5f)**
(2) Yellow Warblers
(1) Black-and-white Warbler
(1) Black-throated Blue Warbler (heard)
(2) Hooded Warblers (1m, 1f)
(1) Yellow-rumped Warbler
(4) Common Yellowthroats (1m, 3f)
(2) Indigo Buntings (1m, 1f)
(2) Great Crested Flycatchers
(1) Willow Flycatcher (heard)
(2) Red-tailed Hawks circling each other
(1) Red-shouldered Hawk pushed away by Red-tails
(1) Common Raven followed close by 2 crows
(1) Pileated Woodpecker
I saw the female Hooded with nest material in her beak yesterday and today.  The male doesn't sing in the morning that much anymore (although I may just not hear it), but everyday around 2:30-3pm it starts singing until around 5:00pm.
**  Did I get confused, or did I hear a female Redstart singing?  It was more like a 'call song'.  Several whistle-like, high pitched notes.  Very different than the Redstart song... it reminded me of Blackpoll and Bay-breasted type songs.
-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com