[CT Birds] Ct endangered species lawsand Cabela's

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Mon Jun 1 07:28:00 EDT 2009

Mark,

Like Nick, I disagree with your questioning the motives of all birders with such a broad
brush.  I know many who are very enlightened, concerned, passionate about protecting
habitats for the benefit of wildlife, above and beyond merely ticking birds on a list.

The entire time I was at the Cabela's site, there were 6 other individuals.  At no point,
did any of us venture beyond any fencing or paved areas "trampling" the fields.  The
Uplands we saw were viewable only with the aid of scopes.

 It's apparent that the mowing, especially around the pond area has deprived the birds
the protective cover they need.  Couple that with the very high traffic volume at Cabela's
over the weekend - hundreds of people at any one time - which was certainly a much more significant impact than the much smaller groups of a few birders.  These factors most likely
 forced the sandpipers to go into the relatively undisturbed field west of Cabela's.

What was also of concern to us was seeing 3 separate, unleashed Labrador Retrievers
in the field around the pond, after we had observed several Killdeer chicks there.

While it would be nice to educate Cabela's about the situation, keep in mind that their
area is only a very small portion of Rentschler Field.  The fate of the rest of the field is
a done deal.  If the mitigation part of the deal was to create a similar habitat elsewhere,
shouldn't the focus of our concern be placed there?   And for wiser land use and planning,
to encourage landowners, private groups and state legislators to preserve, restore and
create more open space/habitats for native wildlife, and strengthen protective laws?

Meredith Sampson
Old Greenwich