[CT Birds] Common Loon in Hartland

ctredbird2 at comcast.net ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 1 07:38:08 EDT 2009

Yesterday I heard a Common Loon yodelling on Barkhamsted Reservoir in Hartland.  At this date (5/31) I suppose it's either a rather late migrant or perhaps a bird that is attempting to find a mate.  This species is not known to nest in CT (to my knowledge) but I think they do nest as nearby as the Quabbin in MA.  I thought it was kind of interesting, anyway.  I heard it from a pulloff on CT 20 about two miles east of Booth Hill.

If anyone is familiar with birding in Hartland and knows where I can find a Warbling Vireo, please contact me off list.  I would be appreciative of that.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT